DaVinci's Notebook

Autumn Blows In

Back to Article
Back to Article

Autumn Blows In

James Schaffer, Editor

Whether it’s wearing extra layers, making sure you moisturize or having to drive to school rather than bike, many people find that changing seasons means changing routines.

People do many of the same things everyday of their lives. This ritualistic way of life can have boundaries or barriers and one of the most influential factors can be weather patterns and season changes.

Some people enjoy certain seasons more than others and here in Utah we get the full spread of hots and colds. An essential part of the summer ending and winter beginning is the sun setting at earlier times in the day. Even with the inclusion of daylights savings annually pulling the time back, there is no stopping the atmospheric changes.

In an interview, English teacher, Mr. Lemon outlines ¨I notice when seasons change, kids, you don’t know this, but you’re really really affected by the sun cycle. When it gets dark really early you guys get tired way earlier¨

In addition to the physical changes in how daylight and time are experienced many social adaptations can have an impact on activity and mood levels.

Mr. Lemon comments “You see shifts in people’s moods, a lot of times during winter, I worry about people’s depression levels because people get seasonal depression”

Both the fashion in the halls and the energy in class are aspects of student behavior that weather may have a large influence on. Even when Autumn’s arrival reshapes daily routine, student life continues and additional challenges are overcome with a natural understanding of adjustment.