DaVinci's Notebook

StarWars: Feminism Strikes Back

Fans are skeptic of the series' new take on feminism.

Ashton Nichole, Writer

Soon to come is another Star Wars reboot, this time with a female lead. After the release of the trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, fans began to speak out about the creators’ intentions, the issues with their feminist overtones, lack of creativity, and desire for money.

Most fans have now seen Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens and caught on onto the recurring feminist theme. The lead in the show, Daisy Ridley, plays Rey: a strong and independent female character. Throughout the movie, she takes on battles and is able to thrive on her own.

Rogue One, which comes out on December 26, hints towards a plot taking place after Episode III — Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV — Events of Hope.

Fans React to Feminism

Sometimes, arts is seen differently by people but that’s the point. If feminism was intentionally added into new films, the same can be expected for the upcoming film. Three in five fans (60%) had negative responses about the female leads when commenting on forums.

Lack of Creativity

Going back to the early 2000s, fans tend to pick at the lack of creativity issue in Hollywood films. Reboots and spinoffs are thought to be excuses from creators who only want money — however, it’s hard to determine the authenticity of the statement, so we can only observe and hypothesis.

Even with fans being “upset” about these films, the box office sales still reach high gain numbers. With what has already been said, the creators have expressed that they don’t intend to “rip off” a series or destroy stories. Seeing value and something good in the stories and wondering if more can be added to only expand a story’s universe is far different from lacking in creativity.

A New Expansion to the Galaxy Far, Far Away

Fans suspect that creators want to squeeze any bit of money they can make out of these films, so they do prequel reboots. Perhaps a message about feminism is now blossoming in our pop culture. The creators are trying to back up a cause they know to be important. Strong female characters are bringing even more awareness to the issues of today.